Focus on the HYSYS Reboiler
By James Holoboff
In this article we focus on a feature relaased in HYSYS v7 which will be of interest to many HYSYS users - support for various reboiler configurations in the column, available from the Input Expert.
The HYSYS release notes outline features and enhancements in a number of different areas,
summarized at the end of this article.
When a reboiled absorber or distillation column are added using the Input Expert, a new page is available which provides some options for setting up the reboiler in HYSYS:
If the default selection is used – “Once-through” and “Regular Hysys reboiler”, then the reboiler will be set up exactly as it has been done previously. The column subflowsheet appears as follows:
Users now have the ability to select a different reboiler type or a different circulation option:
- Regular HYSYS reboiler – Applicable to the once-through option – heating and separation are accomplished in the reboiler.
- Heater – The reboiler is modeled using a heater followed by a separator which withdraws the liquid product and routes vapour to the column.
- Heat Exchanger – The reboiler is modeled using a heat exchanger followed by a separator which withdraws the liquid product and routes vapour to the column.
The addition of this new functionality to HYSYS should be useful for many engineers. We do have some cautions, however:
- We have learned from experience that subflowsheets for Amine columns should in general not be manipulated; adding additional equipment to the subflowsheet for amine contactors and regenerators may give incorrect results.
- Adding more equipment to the column subflowsheet can make the column more difficult to solve. In some cases it may be preferable to model equipment outside of the column subflowsheet (for example, when modeling a heat exchanger instead of the standard reboiler)
If you have any comments on this functionality which you would like to share with us or other HYSYS users, please e-mail us.
List of new features
The new features in HYSYS v7.0 as per the Aspentech release notes are as follows:
“Aspen HYSYS V7.0 includes the following new features and enhancements in the following areas:
- Enabling Aspen Properties compounds and property methods for simulations
- APV70 and NISTV70 compound databases
- New thermodynamic property models
- Electrolyte capabilities
- Process Economic Evaluation
- Hydrates Utility
- Process Utilities
- Improved Input Summary
- Unit Operation Enhancements
- Aspen Custom Models (ACM) enhancements HYSYS
- Additional CapeOpen 1.1 Support
- PID support vendor specific control algorithms
- Calculated residence time for every tray of the tray section
- Level Tap option now available for the Sump Bottom tray of columns
- Rigorous heat exchanger modeling speed improvements